Sunday, March 27, 2011

extremist filmmaking, or... what, exactly?

Spmp

OK, so let's talk Sucker Punch for a minute here folks. 

Rotten Tomatoes: 20%

Metacritic: 35/100

And audience approval is hanging around the mid 60s.  

But let's get real for a minute; well over half of the things people complain about are related to the film's plot and dialogue.  Uh, did you see the trailer?  

Let me provide some perspective.  Snyder has managed to make a film of cliches that breaks every convention; a film that stars hot babes fighting dragons, yet still manages to keep it PG-13; a film that can relentlessly comment on how bad it is while still managing to create scenes that intrigue you.  My favorite one-liner review:

"Looks a lot like either a very stupid person has tried to make a very clever film, or a very clever person has tried to make a very stupid one."

I made my sentiments clear about Watchmen, which maybe makes me a bit biased, but I think you get what you sign up for.  If film is supposed to be the ultimate metaphor, then this one takes the cake, but don't expect a film called "Sucker Punch" to be the one that sparks your inner genius.  Otherwise, I have an idea of what Zack Snyder might call you. 

Sit back, unplug and enjoy.  It's supposed to be stupid, silly.

AND THE REST:

It's all good at work.  Education is on the front page!

Got great feedback on the video below, and am really proud of the work we've been doing.  If you haven't hit up the facebook page, check it out and throw me a like so I can access the features that will allow me to make it into something useful!

338 Subscribers!!  Are you one of them?  We're about to do a massive SAT prep series, so if you know someone in need, keep an eye out for those coming in the next few weeks.

Thank goodness it's finally Spring.  They tell you it's all sunshine in LA, but they're lying.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment